Written by Susan Miles, R.EEG/EPT, CLTM, RHIT
Passing the CLTM exam is a goal and milestone for most Registered EEG Technologists. To some, studying on top of your full-time job, family time, and daily activities can be difficult; but it’s never too early, or too late, to start preparing!
Here are top tips, from an INN remote technologist, to help you prepare for your CLTM exam.
- Set aside a designated place to study Ex: mine was my comfy glider rocker with my favorite quilt. I arranged my books, flash cards, reference materials in a modular rack right by my rocker.
- I made sure I got 7-8 hours sleep every night in the month prior to my exam. Sleep is key to performing well, since it improves memory recall and concentration.
- I fed my brain in the several months prior to the exam. Ex: tuna, fish, MCT oil, alpha lipoic acid, green tea, sun theanine, nuts, and blueberries. I kept rosemary essential oil nearby to just open and inhale from time to time, to boost mental activity.
- I broke my study periods into short 1- 1.5 hour increments. I did not cram. Cramming is discouraged because hurried learning results in poor retention.
- The ASAP tests and questions offered through ABRET are well worth the money. These offer sample multiple choice questions and definitely get you in the test taking mode.
- 1-2 days prior to the exam, I did a test drive to the test location site. I actually went in the building, found the testing room and a very nice person even made sure I was definitely on the list for the next day.
- On the day of the exam, I ate a breakfast of toast with blueberry jam and a protein drink. Eating a full and nutritious breakfast leads to better memory function and focus.
- I took deep breaths just before I went in for the exam. Other ways to relax before your exam could be listening to calming music, reading a book, or practicing positive speak.
We hope these study tips help you feel prepared and ready to conquer the CLTM exam! Remember, everybody is different, it’s best to establish your own routine and find what
works for you.